Monday, April 17, 2006

Shape2Earth Beta 2

[NOTE: Shape2Earth Version 1.0 has been released for download at http://shape2earth.com]

There are a number of nice enhancements added to Shape2Earth for the Beta 2 release.

Optimized Speed
Shape2Earth has been optimized and is much faster when writing KML.

Query Attribute Data
Users can query GIS attribute data using keyword inputs, can sort fields, and can zoom to selected features in Google Earth. This is very helpful for large datasets, and for polygons that are not selectable in Google Earth.

On-The-Fly Reprojecting
Users no longer have to reproject their data to WGS84 before converting. Shape2Earth can now re-project on the fly from the original projection to Google Earth’s projection.

Enhanced Point Options
Users have a better selection on which graphics to use to represent point features. They also have the option of changing the size and color of a point when the mouse hovers over it in Google Earth. Similarly, users can set up the KML so that the attribute used to name the feature is only visible when the point is hovered over (see below).




Improved Interface
The Shape2Earth interface has been compacted, with tools being moved from the Form to a toolbar on the top. This helps when people want to interact with Shape2Earth and Google Earth at the same time. The ability to keep the Shape2Earth Form on top of Google Earth all of the time has been added to the options menu.

14 comments:

  1. Anonymous2:28 PM

    I don't see a link that directs us to where you can obtain Shape2Earth! Am I just going insane?!?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry .. I do not have a download site set up yet. I hope to have a more formal web page by June.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous8:45 AM

    is there any chance to have the beta version emailed (Gerhard.Engel@sbg.ac.at).
    My students will be pleased...

    Thanks in advance.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anonymous6:32 PM

    I would also love to test Shape2Earth. Please email me at
    rtchow0 at gmail.com if that is possible.

    Thanks!
    Russell

    ReplyDelete
  5. Anonymous4:05 PM

    Hi there.
    We're doing some app. development on Google Earth at UCB and would like to try out Shape2Earth, please.

    My e-mail: preetam@berkeley.edu

    Much obliged,
    preetam mukherkee.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous9:20 PM

    Hi There,

    Is it possible to assist you in further testing of the shape2earth converter? we are looking for an easy way to publish our GIS data for google earth users. Please contact me at geoview@doir.wa.gov.au

    Regards,

    Brett

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Tim - I'd love to try Shape2Earth. Could you email it to sofarsoleft@yahoo.com?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Anonymous2:57 AM

    As a MapWindow and Google Earth user I'm very interested in your tool shape2earth.
    I can even help you with webspace so people can download it directly.
    Could you send me the latest version to meems[at]soilcompany.nl

    Thanks
    Paul

    ReplyDelete
  9. Anonymous9:30 AM

    Please, could you send me the Beta 2 version (my email is jexfonseca@gmail.com ).......Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  10. Anonymous8:03 AM

    We do research here and would love to use Shape2Earth or even test it for you! Please email it to: keburke@mitre.org

    thanks!
    Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Anonymous9:05 PM

    Hi Tim,

    Sounds like a very useful product and I would be keen to have a look at this. Are you able to email me a copy at ben_in_us@hotmail.com

    Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  12. Anonymous3:48 AM

    hello tim,
    could you me also send a beta for testing

    c.strobl@dlr.de

    thanks and greetings from munich
    christian

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Tim:
    I'm a chinese student major in GIS.I want to introduce it to my school.Could you do me a favor to send a copy to me. Thanks! Merry Christmas !
    gaopingli@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ditto with everyone above... Testing Purposes todd.judoka@gmail.com, thanks !!!

    ReplyDelete